Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Responses to The Idle Parent..Introduction


After reading the intro. in The Idle Parent, I was struck with what we should read next. Tom promotes staying at home and having good, natural fun..not depending on outings and technology to provide the entertainment. I recently read Kisses From Katie about a young lady who has adopted 14 girls in Uganda. She was amazed at the creative imaginations of her girls who took recycled materials and made art out of them. "Thrift is poetic because it is creative." ~ G.K. Chesterton.

 An American Childhood by Annie Dillard is what I want us to read next. I read this about 10 years ago and it filled me with such joy at the wild imaginations of childhood. In The Idle Parent, Tom says that he is not promoting parents to be careless with their children, but instead, carefree..


I love so much of Tom's ideas, but a few things make me wonder..yes, leaving them alone is great to a point, but we are also supposed to be models of Christ to our kiddos. And drinking alcohol when responsible for them bothers me too. I feel I will glean a lot from this book, but there are some things that I will need to modify. How do you feel about these things?


Next, we will talk about The Idle Parent Manifesto..

image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!!!