Monday, August 13, 2012

Responses to The Idle Parent, Chapters 5,6 ~ hospitality & education


The two things that jumped out at me from these chapters were:

1). Live communally, let them have their friends as we have ours. The Bible says in Acts 2:
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Awww..the elusiveness of hospitality..torn is one word that describes this for me, introvert is the other. 
  
Torn, because when I have company, so many times, I feel as if my other responsibilities are put on hold or at least, not given the priority they should have. It is a fragile balance..but I feel as if I am getting the hang of it. My sister is staying with us for a couple of days, and I have been able to flit around between, her, hubby, home & kitties and make sure everyone is feeling good & having fun!!! Another thing I am thrilled silly over is my new sitting area out in our music room. We have had our love seat and lazy boy chair right out in the middle in this room, and it just occurred to me (not sure why it took so long) to move the sitting area to a corner in the room, that backs up to a brick wall..I have drooled over that wall since I moved in and now it is to become the backdrop for a sitting area that will be secluded in its own sweet corner.     

My introvert-ism is another delicate aspect to weigh. I have the tendency to help people out, but if I feel pressured, I seriously run away and hide. I have always been like this and am not sure how to combat it, except to set boundaries in my mind. Any advise on this would be great cause I feel like I alienate people by the way I handle this.




2) I love that Tom says that education is for turning out children with wits & guts

When I looked up the word "wits" in the dictionary, I loved these two definitions:

the keen perception and cleverly apt expression of those connections between ideas that awaken amusement and pleasure

powers of intelligent observation, keen perception, ingenious contrivance, or the like; mental acuity, composure, and resourcefulness

and guts ~ that boldness, bravery & at times, the ability to bare oneself in honesty. 

Linked at The Wellspring & Good Morning Girls

image from here & here 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!!!